Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] kearney ne Re: sidney ia
Date: Oct 30, 2004 @ 21:39
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The statutory description of the boundaries of Perkins County (Nebraska Revised
Statutes 22-168) indicate that CONE CONE is not even a tripoint, much less a
quadripoint:

"The county of Perkins is bounded as follows: Commencing at the southwest corner
of township nine, north, of range forty-two, west, on the west boundary of
Nebraska; thence east to the southeast corner of township nine, north, of range
thirty-five, west; thence north to the northeast corner of section twenty-four,
township twelve, west; thence west on section lines to the northwest corner of
section nineteen, in township twelve, north, of range forty-one, west; thence
south along the west line of said section nineteen to its intersection with the
south boundary of Nebraska; thence east along said boundary line to the monument
at the northeast corner of Colorado; thence south along the west boundary of
Nebraska to the place of beginning."

Thus, Perkins County has a stubby panhandle extending across north of CONE CONE!

Furthermore, the statutory description of the boundaries of Deuel County
(Nebraska Revised Statutes 22-125) give us the east-west dimention of the stubby
Perkins panhandle:

The county of Deuel is bounded as follows: Commencing at the point where the
line between ranges forty-one and forty-two, west of the sixth principal
meridian intersects the south boundary of Nebraska, eighty-two links west of the
monument at the northeast corner of Colorado; thence west..."

So, the Deuel-Perkins-Sedgwick tripoint is 82 links (54.12 feet) west of CONE
CONE, and the Deuel-Keith-Perkins tripoint would be a somewhat longer distance
north of that. Jack suggests 500 feet, and I think that's probably close.

If the road alignments on USGS can be trusted, CONE CONE should be slightly east
of the road junction, that junction being Deuel-Perkins-Sedgwick. Note how USGS
has the road southward from the junction slanting slightly to the east for about
a hundred yards to find the north-south segment of CONE.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA