Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: extraterritoriality
Date: Oct 26, 2004 @ 17:46
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Apart from leased military bases and other facilities, extraterritoriality has
little to do with territory (else it would be territoriality), but rather with
persons and activities. It is best to think of it as extraterritorial
JURISDICTION--that is, a nation's jurisdiction over its own citizens beyond its
own territory.

The classic 19th-century examples would include the "spheres of influence" and
other trade treaties that various Western nations had in the Orient. For
example, by treaty with Japan, the USA had extraterritorial jurisdiction over
all of its citizens in that country until 1894. Britain and the USA had similar
jurisdiction by treaty with China until 1943. In the American case, US consuls
were empowered to hold "consular courts" and apply US law to both criminal and
civil matters concerning Americans in those countries where treaties allowed it.

Since this sort of thing is rather imperialistic and implies that some sovereign
nations are superior to others, it has largely fallen from favor in the modern
world.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA