Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] extraterritoriality
Date: Oct 26, 2004 @ 15:55
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I agree. Sometimes small diplomatic missions do not even have "grounds," but
are merely rooms or suites of rooms rented on the upper floors of commercial
office buildings. The diplomatic activities of the sending nation within them
still enjoy immunity from the laws of the host nation under various treaties and
the age-old practices of diplomacy.

Wolfgang is correct, however, in that diplomatic missions do have certain
functional similarities to extraterritorial properties.

There are various shades and gradations of extraterritoriality. Some examples
of extraterritoriality in the American experience are the Guantanamo Bay Naval
Station in Cuba and the former Canal Zone in Panamá. Many of the non-domestic
military facilities of the USA and other nations are operated under "status of
forces agreements" with host nations that give the sending nations exclusive
jurisdiction over their facilities and personnel. These sometimes vary among
host nations.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA