Subject: mt carmel illinois Re: hodgenville was campbellsville ky Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: OH Quadricounty Point
Date: Oct 23, 2004 @ 22:18
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

nice going on all counts lowell
& this is why i have been thinking of all the supposed & proposed megapoints as probabilities so far
rather than confirmed facts

& i have found they are generally just as hard to confirm as they are to bust

& of course we will need to collect evidence as good as this on all of them
& sift the verified ones from the merely hopeful ones
perhaps even collecting the busts just as diligently
tho separately of course
so as to maintain clarity

it might actually provide enough entertainment for several lifetimes

& go mike go too

i am especially glad you are on this case in particular
since i was actually headed in that direction myself also this morning
hoping to surprise everyone
& reaching in the event as far as bardstown ky
before my friend who lives only minutes from the target & had got me going in that direction by promising me a fresh bag of weed finally crapped out

so i have been drifting toward st louis instead

gained an hour & luckily caught a library after i thought they all had closed

but they are kicking me out now

beeps

"Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:
After reviewing the messages listed in the message below, I should explain why I
discount the quadripoint supposedly formed by Bossier and Caddo Parishes,
Louisiana, and Lafayette and Miller Counties, Arkansas, where the Red River
crosses the ARLA boundary, as proposed by Mike D. in message 8659.

It is quite true that the USGS shows this as a quadripoint.  However, the
OFFICIAL MAP OF LOUISIANA (both the 1981 edition on the wall in front of me and
the 2000 19.1-megabyte PDF edition) show the Bossier-Caddo boundary quite
different and meeting the ARLA boundary approximately a half-mile west of the
Lafayette-Miller boundary.  Both of the county-equivalent boundaries are shown
different from USGS.  (See attached.)  The 1975 USGS map simply places both
county-equivalent boundaries in the middle of the river channel as shown on
whatever version that was used as the basis for the 1975 revision, which shows
the then-current river position in purple overprint.  Thus the USGS is
indicating the boundaries without regard for the historic channels.  For further
proof, see http://tinyurl.com/4aqxa , which is one panned iteration south of the
supposed quadripoint.  Note how differently the USGS depicts the parish boundary
on two different map sheets (1975 above and 1971 below) that join near the
bottom of the image.

The Bossier-Caddo boundary is defined as "the center flow channel [of the Red
River] as it existed in 1838."  Miller County was created from Lafayette County
in 1874, so their boundary might correspond to the river's location at that
time.

For whatever it's worth, Microsoft STREETS & TRIPS (also attached) is in
agreement with the OFFICIAL MAP OF LOUISIANA that there is no quadripoint.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA