Subject: Re: frederick md
Date: Oct 15, 2004 @ 18:10
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> The different colored areas of the PDF map (dark purple, green,
yellow, blue)
> represent different geologies within the watershed. The light
purple lines are
> the county and state boundaries. The white area is outside the
watershed.

> The watershed, of course, is bounded by the natural ridge line.
The map shows
> that the light purple Frederick-Washington county boundary
deviates eastward
> from the natural watershed boundary as it approaches the MDPA
state boundary.
> Note that the watershed boundary does indeed continue northward
into
> Pennsylvania as it should. Yes, there is a slight jog at the
state boundary,
> but there is also a slight jog in the geologies at the state
boundary. These
> jogs are probably artifacts of slightly discrepant geological data
from the two
> states. The deviation of the county boundary from the natural
ridge line while
> still within Maryland, however, is not a mapping accident. It is
confirmed by
> the text reference to the "very small portion of Washington
County" that is
> within the watershed.
>
> The USGS map at http://tinyurl.com/5jme6 shows the county
boundary, which seems
> to be too far west as judged by Mike Donner's on-site observation
of a "shiny
> round topped stone post" that he took for the tripoint. Note that
the USGS does
> show that monument but doesn't think it the tripoint. (I'm
withholding judgment
> until Mike tells us what it said on that monument, if anything.)
The USGS map
> does not specifically show the drainage divide, but careful
inspection of the
> contours will prove that the divide must strike the MDPA boundary
west of the
> depicted county boundary. The divide runs approximately along the
north-south
> road through the community of Blue Ridge Summit, Pennsylvania. If
you will pan
> the map one iteration northward, you will see that the divide runs
to the small
> hill just southeast of Monterey, then ascends Monterey Peak
farther north.

ok i follow you so far
& then thru bare rock
& perhaps to pine mountain

but in the peculiar scramble of the heights around there
the name of the divide has changed
either to culp ridge
or to south mountain
in which case its color has also changed
to green ridge

perhaps the blue ridge ends on the north slope of pine mountain

or can anyone tell better

http://topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.72417&lon=-77.47167

This