Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Russian jurisdiction over Tajik border to Afghanistan.
Date: Oct 08, 2004 @ 02:05
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I heard this explained on TV back at the time of the Coalition war against the
Taliban regime.

It seems that Tajikistan had lacked the resources to guard its Afghanistan
border sufficiently against drugs and terrorism. The Russian Federation,
realizing that Tajikistan was its own first line of defense against both, had
offered to provide border control down there. Tajikistan was glad for the help,
so that's how it was.

I can only speculate, but now that Afghanistan is relatively more civilized,
perhaps the Russians don't see quite the need to continue.

I wonder if Russia was assisting Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan at all on their
borders with Afghanistan.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA