Subject: Re: Russian jurisdiction over Tajik border to Afghanistan.
Date: Oct 03, 2004 @ 13:19
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Christian Berghänel
<christian.berghanel@s...> wrote:
> The following news from RFE/RL on September 27 and 30
tells about the status of the Tajik-Afghan border. Does this mean
that Russia and Afghanistan share border allthough they're not
neighbours?

hardly

more likely a post soviet or early cis hangover

the cis had & maybe will still have some border coordination &
cooperation among its equally sovereign members

& russia is likely just relaxing a bit more here about being so first
among them

perhaps it is a sign of the advancement of her imperial collapse

&or it is just too difficult & expensive to maintain control
or rather the illusion of control
especially in such a remote & difficult area as this

> /Christian Berghänel
> Sweden

September 2004

> > RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH
REPUBLIC

_________
> > RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 8, No. 184, Part I, 27 September
2004

> > RUSSIAN ENVOY SAYS TAJIK-AFGHAN BORDER
HANDOVER UNDER WAY. Maksim
> > Peshkov, Russia's ambassador to Tajikistan, told
ITAR-TASS on 24
> > September that the transfer of the Tajik-Afghan border from
Russian
> > to Tajik jurisdiction is currently under way. He stressed,
however,
> > that the two countries will continue to cooperate closely on
> > border-related issues as the handover progresses. The
report noted
> > that Russian presidential aide Sergei Prikhodko has said
that Russian
> > President Vladimir Putin is considering a request from Tajik
> > President Imomali Rakhmonov to extend the border
handover process
> > until the end of 2006. Prikhodko stated, "This request will be
> > considered within the framework of the functioning working
groups."
> > DK
> >

> > 30 Sep
> > RUSSIAN-TAJIK BORDER TALKS FOCUS ON TRANSFER.
Russian and Tajik
> > border officials met in Dushanbe on 29 September to
discuss the
> > details of transferring control of the Tajik-Afghan border, Asia
> > Plus-Blitz reported. Lieutenant General Aleksandr Manilov,
deputy
> > director of Russia's Federal Border Service, led the Russian
> > delegation and met with Lieutenant General Abdurahmon
Azimov,