Subject: Re: enclaves on stamps
Date: Sep 23, 2004 @ 01:34
Author: mikekaufman79 ("mikekaufman79" <mikekaufman79@...>)

Pene-enclave can mean almost an enclave in the sense of the boundary
lines almost come to a close but then widen back out. It can also
mean almost an enclave, meaning practical inaccessibility.
From the first interpretation, Jungholz is every bit as much an
enclave as it is not an enclave (but yes a geographical pene-
enclave). You can draw an infinite amount of uninterrupted lines
through the quadripoint from Austria to Austria, but you can do the
same from Germany to Germany.
Now of course you can say that something which is just as much an
enclave as it is a pene-enclave in and of it self means it's a pene-
enclave.
From the second interpretation, it is a pene-enclave as it is not
possible to reach Jungholz via the rest of Austria without ever
leaving Austria. Since it is one point wide on top of a mountain.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:
> still i must concede
> that is an extremely nice pene example
> & indeed our closest thing to a real example yet
> so it shouldnt just be dismissed out of hand
> even if it might be rationalized away as somehow exceptional
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
> <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> > With the Anschluß of Austria by Germany, Jungholz
> disappeared as the
> > two countries became one; and then, after WWII, it reappeared.
> Now
> > don't go splitting hairs about it being "only" a pene-. I know, I
> > know, I know.
> >
> > LN
> >

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak"
> <aletheiak@y...> wrote: