Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] mathews & nelson arrive with several surprises
Date: Sep 22, 2004 @ 04:11
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The Supreme Court decision is at http://tinyurl.com/3vrql , and it does indeed
place MDWV at the low-water mark on the south bank of the Potomac, on the same
grounds as MDVA was similarly placed in the arbitration of 1877 (after the
independence of WV from VA), those grounds being the MSVA compact of 1785.

The decree near the end of the decision described MDWV thus:

"Beginning at the common corner of the states of Maryland and Virginia, on the
southern bank of the Potomac river, at low-water mark, at or near the mouth of
the Shenandoah river (near Harper's Ferry), and running thence with the southern
bank of the said Potomac river, at low-water mark, and with the southern bank of
the North Branch of the Potomac river at low- water mark, to the point where the
north and south line from the Fairfax stone crosses the said North Branch of the
Potomac, and thence running northerly, as near as may be, with the Deakins or
Old State line to the line of the state of Pennsylvania."

I would conclude that, since VAWV is delimited as a drainage divide, any
necessary stitch (between the possibly incomplete survey heretofore done and the
low-water mark) should follow the last whimper of the ridge line across that
portion of the bed of the river that lies between the high- and low-water marks.
Put another way, the MDVAWV tripoint should be at the point of exposed land that
is, when river flow is at its lowest, farthest from the point where the VAWV
survey strikes the high-water mark.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA