Subject: Re: enclaves on stamps
Date: Sep 18, 2004 @ 11:13
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:
> you can have your opinion

Thanks. You can have yours, too.

> & i dont mean to be argumentative
> but in fact de facto always trumps de jure everywhere
>
> & normally a new de jure will emerge from a new de facto
>
> rarely does a former de jure resume after a subsequent de facto
>
> this is because the rule of law is only an extension or
> appurtenance of brute force
> created by those in power for their own convenience
>
> indeed de jure is just a subtler means of force than brute force
>

> another way to think of it is that de jure is a subset & refinement
> of de facto
> just as de facto is a subset & refinement of an active military
front

> & with claves especially
> given their inconvenience & dysfunction etc
> it it unlikely that defunct ones would ever be deliberately
> reconstituted if they could be avoided
>
> rather the general drift is almost entirely in the opposite
direction

I agree. Especially with your words "normally", "rarely". (By the
way, the fact that de jure is more subtle than brute force is one of
the reasons I prefer de jure.) Baarle-Hertog was once just a set of
provincial enclaves. But they reconstituted those as international
ones when Belgium became independent.

Peter