Subject: Re: how to determine distance from line? [BoundaryPoint] 1542
Date: Sep 10, 2004 @ 07:26
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

ok many thanxxx again ron for all these gratifying corroborations

i believe we are in complete synch now too

& your scrutiny has been instrumental in helping me to
understand exactly why we are not & cannot really be reaching
for the correct inch or less here but only for the correct foot

thus far anyway

if we had the intermonumental caus sight line to use
we would of course be able to reach for the right inch & beyond

indeed we might even hit the correct millimeter
despite the 10000 to 100000 fold disparity in our triangulation
which runs kilometers while rising only decimeters or
centimeters
for i believe such a sighting from monument 194 to 195 across
the idwa meridian may yet be possible with hi power binocs
next time 2 people visit there

one of them to hold the binocs & direct the fingertip of the other
north or south along a yardstick to the true sight line intersection

but until then
tho we have the idwa hairline in plain view on the 1909 disk
& tho we wont be losing sight of it between there & true bcidwa
however many inches north it really lies
our best available caus line is not a visible hairline at all yet
but only a theoretical ribbon stripe the width of a full centisec or
statute foot

we might visualize this ribbon as a mini clearcut
about as wide as or a bit wider than the monuments themselves
running down the middle 5 percent or so of the actual clearcut

& until & unless we achieve our caus sight line
the truest available bcidwa is not a hairline intersection but only
the computational intersection of the idwa hairline with this
theoretical caus ribbon

& this intersection i have computed
crudely but i think entirely effectively
as the approximate foot centered 1 foot due north of the 1909
disk center

i myself have subsequently tried to refine this down to inches too
& in fact at one point i revised my guess to the approximate foot
centered 18 inches due north of the disk center
but now that i have reviewed the data so critically with you
i think my attempt to do so was misguided
& i have recentered my best guessed foot at 1 foot due north

for this is the limitation of accuracy that is built into the ibc coords
& i dont believe any tweaking of computational accuracy will
improve on it

i will of course be happy to improve on it
but i dont think it will really be possible til someone actually
reaches monument 194
or until the ibc upgrades their marker coords to millisecs or
beyond

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Ron McConnell"