Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Possible BNCNMYTWVN 5-Country Reef and Obelisk
Date: Sep 05, 2004 @ 01:32
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

A web site at http://www.mir.com.my/potpourri/places/mpwong/destination/louisa/
says of Louisa Reef, "The navigation beacon at its southwest point is now
defunct... The sandy patches south and west of the collapsed beacon give
excellent night diving." The map at
http://www.panagadivers.com/Diving/Reefs.htm shows the obelisk in the southwest
of the oval reef, but the obelisk is hardly "collapsed."

The large 2003 photo on the page linked last above clearly shows two other
manmade objects, one in the foreground of the obelisk's base and one to the
right. It is my theory that these are the remains of two collapsed similar
"obelisks" that would have served as piers for a platform supporting the beacon.
I see no way that a single obelisk could have hosted a functioning navigation
beacon. What would have powered it in the middle of the South China Sea? A
platform would have been necessary to support enough solar arrays or other
equipment to power a beacon.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA