Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: ME-NB-QC
Date: Aug 03, 2004 @ 16:25
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Okay, I will confess that the rivers and boundary to not themselves accrete and
avulse. Rather, they move by processes of accretion and events of avulsion. To
say that the rivers and boundaries accrete and avulse is a convenient but
oversimplified shorthand, but I think we all know what is meant.

However, I do steadfastly defend what you call my "pet notion" that MXUS,
contrary to the general behavior of fluvial boundaries, does move when the
rivers move by events of avulsion. It does so because the Treaty of 1970 says
that it does. See http://www.ibwc.state.gov/Files/1970Treaty.pdf . This is not
the only way in which this particular boundary behaves uniquely because the
treaty says so.

The treaty does not use the words "accretion"and "avulsion," but rather
describes the processes. Article III, paragraph A says "When the Rio Grande or
the Colorado River moves laterally eroding one of its banks and depositing
alluvium on the opposite bank, the international boundary shall continue to
follow the middle of the channel occupied by normal flow..." (This is movement
by accretion.) Paragraph B of the same article says, "When the Rio Grande or
the Colorado River, through movements other than those described in paragraph A
of this Article, separates from one Contracting State a tract of land, which
might be composed of or include islands..." (This, of course, is by movement by
avulsion.) It goes on to explain that the state losing land by such events
shall notify the other state through the IBWC "at the earliest possible date"
whether or not it intends to restore the river to an artificial channel in the
prior location at its own expense. If so, then the boundary is frozen in the
prior location for three years, renewable for one additional year. If it
notifies that it does not choose to channelize, or if it does not channelize in
time, then "the international boundary shall be fixed in accordance with the
provisions of Article II (A) of this Treaty..."

So, it is entirely fair to say that the boundary moves as a consequence of
either natural accretion or natural avulsion, subject only in the latter case to
the right of rectification by artificial means. During every flood, there must
be numerous small changes by avulsion that do not justify the expense of
channelization.

Article III, paragraph C provides that, if the rivers should separate by
avulsion a tract with an area more than 617.76 acres (250 hectares) or with a
population more than 100, then the boundary is frozen and a rectification by
artificial channelization shall be undertaken by the IBWC at joint expense of
the two states.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA