Subject: Re: ADESFRW-tripoint conquered!
Date: Jul 29, 2004 @ 14:50
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, <eefberns@g...> wrote:
> On the summit was a stone cairn with a iron pole stuck in it.
The French
> topo-map indicates a border marker at the site. I didn't see
anything else
> then this cairn & pole.
> And 'conquered' refers solely to my pride feelings having
climbed this
> tripoint and providing you with an own picture after so many
> internet-searches by Marcel Miquel.

indeed
the 2 of you have truly earned & won this point
for yourselves & us

but is this pole the tall thin one that goes thru the roof of your
magnificent photo

& was it then not securely fastened to earth but just loosely
propped up by the cairn stones
as it appears

if so
then this would raise some novel & fascinating questions

first
is this surprising pole even an official tripoint marker at all
as your map appears to suggest
or is it just folk art

for we already knew the andorra borders are poorly marked
if at all
but we had been expecting esfr to be completely up to snuff

so this marker is a bit of a show stopper in more ways than one

indeed one of marcels earlier pix did at least suggest there was
a small durable fairly normal monument up there somewhere
near if not precisely at the summit
which i think accounts for his recently reiterated belief in it

so second
might there be a more definitive marker hiding within the cairn
or elsewhere nearby

but assuming this fugitive stack of loose rocks & metal is indeed
all she wrote up there
which i do assume at this point
in view of your known expertise in locating durable markers
then the question becomes
what does this say about the exact location of the true tripoint

is it blowing in the wind at the top of the pole
just out of our view over your head
& therefore running approximately along your spine as well

or is it rattling about & climbing every time a newly arriving
mountaineer plops another stone onto the cairn
& therefore sitting just beneath your right elbow when last seen

or is it just lying there invisibly at the terra firma summit beneath
the cairn
more or less at the base of the pole from all appearances
assuming the cairn actually marks the terra firma summit
which i also do cautiously assume
because your pic appears to show that

& if this last probability does prove to be the case & the truth
then wouldnt it behoove the next seeker in succession to
disassemble the cairn
albeit just temporarily of course
in order to reach the truest available adesfrw point underlying it

but first can you help resolve any of these questions