Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Jul 27, 2004 @ 15:58
Author: Dave Patton [DCP] ("Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@...>)

At 03:33 AM 2004/07/27, aletheiak wrote:
>--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]"
><dpatton@c...> wrote:
> > I've posted the narrative and photos detailing my
> > recent visit to the British Columbia/Idaho/Washington
> > (BCIDWA) tripoint and 49N 117W degree confluence on
> > the Degree Confluence Project website:
> >
>http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=49&lon=-117&visi
>t=4

>tho i did get a good look at your excellent report last night
>the confluence page seems to have seized up this morning
>so i cant get back to it now to double check the data
>tho i trust it will soon be restored

We were "slashdotted" yesterday(i.e. someone posted an article
about the DCP on slashdot.org), which has caused higher than
normal server loads.

>but in any case
>when it was working
>i was able to copy these nad83 coords for the 1909 disk
>as presented on the 1998 tablet
>nlat 48d59s57s110
>wlong 117d01m56s715

Of course those should be:
Latitude: N48d59m57.110s
Longitude: W117d01m56.715s

>& tho the bcidwa monument does appear to be situated near the
>middle of the clearcut & therefore nearly smack dab on caus
>these coords dont compare well to the nad83 coords for the
>neighboring markers published by the ibc

The International Boundary Commission(IBC) website has
both NAD83 and NAD27 coordinates for the boundary markers.
Note that the NAD27 ones are listed as being official, while
the NAD83 coordinates have been derived by software.
I have sent an email to the IBC asking what version of NAD27
they have used, but haven't yet received an answer.
I assumed NAD27 CONUS.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/