Subject: Re: Possible to have land in USA that isn't in a State?
Date: Jul 21, 2004 @ 21:10
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

very interesting

i dont think any stateless land is actually created by it tho

rather i believe idwa must continue effectively due north the extra
half inch or so beyond the 1909 terminal marker vertex
until it reaches the caus sight line at true bcidwa

this point is reached probably while still on the marker disk
but just north of its center point
if i understand you correctly

& if that is right
then you have made & reported here the first monumental class
b visit in history

which is a curious contradiction in terms
since class b was invented for unmarked points

but i believe your novel findings have demonstrated that true
bcidwa is indeed an unmarked point upon the idwa terminal
marker

& have done so with almost acupunctural precision to boot

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]"
<dpatton@c...> wrote:
> This is a theoretical question, just out of curiosity,
> but may not be hypothetical.
>
> By treaty, the Cananda/USA border along the 49th parallel
> is defined by straight lines between border monuments.
>
> It's my understanding that boundaries between US states,
> such as between Wahington and Idaho, are defined by
> the locations of monuments along those borders.
>
> Apparently, the monument that defines the intersection
> of the Washington/Idaho border with the Canada/USA border
> was incorrectly placed by the USGS in 1909, because they
> placed in on the parallel, which is a line with a slight
> southward curve, rather than placing it on the straight
> line between the two adjacent Canada/USA border
monuments.