Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] world class border arc census was Re: real bjneng try afoot
Date: Jul 16, 2004 @ 14:26
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Michael,

The 1970 treaty provided for several artificial channel relocations and the
placement of the boundary into their specified middle lines upon their
completion. It also says that the boundary moves with the middle of the
accreting main channel in the natural segments, each state being entitled to
efforts to stabilize its banks. If the river moves by avulsion, the boundary
also moves, subject to a three-year delay for the losing state to exercise the
option or restoring the boundary to the original channel at its expense. If the
land lost is more than 250 hectares or has more than 100 residents, the boundary
stays put permanently, and it is the duty of both governments to restore the
river to the former channel at their joint expense. Prior to the 1970 treaty,
changes by accretion and avulsion were handled quite differently, although the
pertinent documents are not on-line.

Only the USGS can explain why it maps the way it maps. As to the map in
question, I suspect that they show the most recent river locations and have
applied the specified boundary in the new artificial channel. They appear not
to have revised the boundary shown in the neighboring natural channel, even on
the new portion of the map. Note that neither have they revised their contours.
In the natural channel just upstream from the large arc, they show the boundary
touching the Mexican bank and the 100-foot contour is in the middle of the
river! Apparently, they have revised the river throughout and the boundary in
the artificial channel, but not the boundary in the natural channels nor the
contours.

The IBWC makes a fresh map of the evolving boundary at least every ten years
(drawn onto aerial photos). I suspect that their schedule is out of sync with
the USGS's map revision schedule, and the USGS is loathe to move its depiction
of a boundary without authority on paper from the IBWC, even though their own
aerial photos show that the river has evolved.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA