Subject: Re: Re; Map sites -> ATCHLIn
Date: Jul 13, 2004 @ 11:02
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, <marcelmiquel@c...> wrote:
> > Great stuff! Thank you. I've taken several maps and
> > ortophotos from
> > many tripoints. And I've been surprised by this ortophoto:
> > is atchlin a
> > wet or a land tripoint?
>
> My guess: when the weather is dry over a long enough period, so is
> the tripoint.

Or, maybe not.

According to the boundary treaty, the border in the Rhine is formed
by the centre line between the high water dikes between CHLI2GRSGBA
and the point where the Liechtensteinische Binnenkanal enters the
Rhine, but between that point and ATCHLIn it is formed by the middle
of the "sogenanntes Mittelgerinne". That looks like another way of
saying "Thalweg". Thalwegs normally aren't dry.

Treaty at http://www.gesetze.ch/sr/0.132.514.2/0.132.514.2_000.htm

So the Liechtenstein map site might be a bit inaccurate here.

Peter S.