Subject: Re: SAOMYE demarcated?
Date: Jul 05, 2004 @ 23:05
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Joachim Duester"
<jduester@p...> wrote:

> can anyone explain why so many sources - both in the Internet
and
> in pronted atlases - still state wrongly that the OMN-SAU,
OMN-ARE,
> YEM-SAU boundaries are "undefined" ?

it is just that it often takes time for people to catch up on the
news & to finally get things right
especially if they arent primarily concerned about the truth per se
as many people simply are not

cant blame them really
& wrongness is a fact of life anyway

for if you look at anything carefully & critically enough
you are bound to find at least something wrong about it

& this observation seems especially true of maps
because they are intrinsically such an ambitious project

with mapmaking you can never get it all just right
so many makers hardly even bother to try

also
there is a culture of complaining that requires a steady supply of
stuff to be annoyed about
so of course the cosmos provides this for whoever wants it

& that sometimes includes catastrophically misleading maps

but so what really
since what we call reality is just a bunch of smoke & mirrors
anyway

& frankly it makes it more fun that you really cant trust anything
absolutely
yikes
not even official german maps

> Even in recent BBC World TV
> broadcasts, they were showing outdated maps of the
YEM-SAU boundaries.
> It seems no one really cares to abandon old clichées about
undefined
> boundaries or to take into account the various agreements
concluded
> over the past 30 years. Even in official German maps I see
UAE
> bordering Qatar as if there were no Saudi corridor near Khor
Ubaid.
> Very annoying for tourists trying to travel overland from Abu
Dhabi to

<jesniel@i...>
> wrote:
> > From the German survey company "For the Main Border Point
defining
> the "dreilendereck" I can tell you, that there was first the end of
> the border Saudi-Oman, which has been accecpted as starting
point of
> the border Oman - Yemen. Since Saudi Arabia and Yemen
already had one
> commen Border Point, this Border Point was then starting
point of the
> third border."
> >
> > Jesper

8006