Subject: world class border arc census was Re: real bjneng try afoot
Date: Jul 02, 2004 @ 23:36
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Maybe between 1889 and 1904:

"(...) when the boundaries were settled by the agreement of the 10th
of August 1889 with France, Great Britain was able to secure only a
ten-kilometre strip on either side of the river. This document fixed
the frontier of the British protectorate inland at a radius of 10
miles from the centre of the town of Yarbatenda; which town is
situated at the limit of navigability of the Gambia from the sea. By
Article 5 of the Anglo-French convention of the 8th of April 1904,
Yarbatenda was ceded to France, with the object of giving that
country a port on the river accessible to sea-going merchantmen." --
http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/gambia.htm
Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Arif Samad <fHoiberg@y...>