Subject: cninmm was Re: (unknown) etc
Date: Jun 17, 2004 @ 03:11
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

some corrections may be in order before continuing to stack this

& fresh pointing is more fun than retesting our capacity anyway

but first the present try in a nutshell thus far
before i tear it apart

http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS042.pdf

> to which i can add
> that my best atlas shows about 100km of separation between
> the extreme positions
>
> & also
> that i have the distinct impression that the ongoing cnin border
> talks
> having already disposed of tibet & sikkim on a quid pro quo
> basis
> are heading in the direction of recognizing the indian position
> aka the the mcmahon line
> here in arunachal pradesh
> in exchange for recognizing the chinese line of control at aksai
> chin in sinkiang
>
> so i would guess that the northernmost of the 3 possible
tripoint
> positions mentioned by the ibs
> situated in fact at a watershed trijunction just north of diphu
pass
> is by far the greatest probability

however
several choice details about the tripoint situation that are
mentioned in the following opinion piece contradict the above
http://meaindia.nic.in/opinion/2002/04/18o01.htm

also
http://www.gisdevelopment.net/news/viewn.asp?id=GIS:N_tszdlf
ex
indicates a mapping uncertainty of 4 to 7 km
causing differing interpretations of the mcmahon line even within
the indian government
not to mention what the chinese think

also noteworthy tho not really definitive is the fact that multimap
which is actually the best available map in this case
& in general getting better all the time btw
shows the inmm border crossing at diphu pass to be about 10
km south of the tripoint

& it also shows the summit of hkakabo razi on cnmm much
closer to the tripoint than the pass is shown
in fact
practically upon the tripoint

whereas national geographics shows the same hkakabo razi
about 30 km from the tripoint

so it appears hard to get much closer to the truth as of yet

the main reason for this may be explained on pages 6 & 8 of
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/IBS080.pdf
where it is stated that inmm follows the irrawaddy brahmaputra
watershed to its northern limit
just as it was stated in ibs42 hereabove that cnmm follows the
irrawaddy salween shed to its limit

thus the exact location might well be the object of a sawanabori
of the irrawaddy or of one of its headstreams

now this object point was apparently given provisionally in the
1967 inmm treaty
but its exact location was supposed to have been found &
marked by commissioners

the task however does not appear to have been accomplished
as of 1995 at least
according to another site

in any case
http://www.avatravel.com/putao.htm
purports to show hkakabo razi from a distance of about 100 km
so the horizon line includes cnmm all right
& the dip or gap at the left edge of the photo could be diphu pass
& thus the tripoint slightly to its right
but this is only a guess

&
http://www.journeysmyanmar/com/images/highlights_hkakabo_r
azi.jpg
focuses on the peak itself

so either or both of these pix could conceivably be class d visits
& more likely the former than the latter

but it is all just wishful thinking as long as the tripoint position
remains so uncertain

it is certainly the right general neighborhood
but apparently this is about all that can be said with confidence
since all 3 of the convergents are in need of a final tweak