Subject: Re: egiljo
Date: Jun 13, 2004 @ 03:02
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

from msg 14195 of 26 may

> the maritime sector of iljo has already been fully agreed & plotted
> on the basis of equidistance
>
> & the maritime sector of egil has not yet been agreed or plotted
> but can be hypothetically estimated
> also on the basis of equidistance
>
> in fact it appears the makers of the iljo boundary may have
> already computed its terminal point to coincide with the
> hypothetical location of the egiljo equidistance tripoint
>
> this iljo terminal point is specified in the iljo treaty as
> nlat 29d27m12s1667 by elong 34d55m16s3595

& by careful plotting & measurement on the best available map
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/israel/50k/08-36-094-4.jpg
the above cited point does indeed appear to fall equidistant from the
coasts of all 3 countries

& tho such a bilaterally determined tripoint remains only theoretical
until actually accepted by the third party
in this case egypt
still it is already very putatively the eventual egiljo tripoint

if you would like to touch it with your finger or cursor tip
the location is about 5 meters south & about 436 meters east
or in other words a hair below & just under half a box to the right
of the kilometric grid intersection that falls directly beneath the
middle letter of the russian word akaba

> the following pic is said to show an egyptian border guard
> standing where egil hits the beach near taba
> http://www.strassbergdesign.net/images/egypt5.jpg
>
> tho not visible
> there may still be a 1912 marker there near the point of ras taba
> per ibs number 46

on second perusal
perhaps we can see the terminal rock right there on the beach after all
near the middle left edge of the photo

> in the pic
> presumably egypt is at right & israel at left
> with jordan visible thru the haze on the opposite coast
>
> thus the hypothetical egiljo tripoint is likely in frame
> perpendicular to the coast & halfway across the gulf
> at a distance of about 5km

& now that i have seen the map & compared the photo to it
this is almost certainly a class d visit
with the tip of the gun barrel perhaps marking the very tripoint
as nearly as i would dare to guess