Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Gibraltar
Date: Jun 10, 2004 @ 16:00
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

Lowell/Mike,

>While the contortions of the EU as to what and where their various rules
>do and do not apply are quite amusing to us Americans

One thing I forget to add, although I appreciate we're starting to get
off-topic here...

The fundamental reason that many of the European overseas territories were
excluded from all or part of the EU, is that they're invariably small and
do not have diverse economies, not to mention that some have closer
economic ties to other regions (as with Bermuda to the US). They therefore
rely very heavily on the likes of tourism, offshore banking and/or fishing
which would be far less competitive if they were subject to full EU
legislation. The parent countries (with the possible exception of France),
have generally been of the opinion that encouraging self-sufficiency more
than outweighs any loss of tax revenue.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell