Subject: Re: Campobello-type islands
Date: Jun 08, 2004 @ 00:39
Author: geoh88 ("geoh88" <geoh88@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002" <orc@o...>
wrote:
> but only the virtue of having elicited such weird answers
> since i rather doubt any more exact campobello mates will be
> found anywhere anyway

You doubt that out of the 130+ adjacent continental coastal maritime
boundaries that we cannot find even one more Campobello clone???

> but of course you could keep refining or redefining your quest
> entirely out of existence too
> until you can finally declare campobello a topological singularity
> on some grounds or other

Not my intention at all. Campobello needs playmates.

> as penon would probably resemble alhucemas & chafarinas not
> diurnally but only during or after a major storm if ever
> as i think it may actually have done in the past
>
> also the fact that there is no definite border on this causeway
> may also serve to distinguish penon from ceuta & melilla
> thus leaving you in fact with nothing other than what you sought
> except that it was more a cosmic than a strictly human creation

I would be very interested to learn more about what you call
a "causeway" from Moroccan soil to Penon de Velez de Gomera, because
from what I have read, I visuallized it more as a long skinny pile
of boulders, not appropriate for vehicles. Can you point me to a
photo or recent description of it?

> what other continents
>
> i know someone else i could ask
>
> do you have something in mind

Well, for starters:

Gulf of Thailand - Phu Quoc - belongs to Vietnam - might be 40 or 50
kms from Vietnam mainland, but looks to be quite close to Cambodia.
If it is bridged to Cambodia, that's a Campobello-type.

Eastern Andaman Sea - all those tiny islands clustered near the
Myanmar-Thailand border - is it possible that one of them is bridged
only once, the "wrong" way?

Red Sea, Atlantic Coast of Africa, etc, etc, anywhere that a little
island might be tucked closer to its neighbor than its motherland
and thru a set of circumstances it is bridged only to the neighbor.

Actually, I was thinking that someone might already have a mental
list of these ready to share. Guess not.