Subject: Re: Campobello-type islands
Date: Jun 07, 2004 @ 22:27
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

> The responses from you and acroorca have pointed out the
> deficiencies in what I thought was a carefully crafted definition.

wow i see no lack in it geoh
but only the virtue of having elicited such weird answers
since i rather doubt any more exact campobello mates will be
found anywhere anyway

the danish offering having obviously been kaput from the start
i now realize
because my map failed to show a bridge

but of course you could keep refining or redefining your quest
entirely out of existence too
until you can finally declare campobello a topological singularity
on some grounds or other

but your definition had no actual deficiencies that i could see

> And to acroorca, yes, you're absolutely correct that Great
Britain,
> etc., are connected to France, but not directly to Gibraltar. In
> the past, I would have been inclined to argue that Gibraltar was
> separate country from GB&NI for purposes such as these,
especially
> since the UK government tries to categorize Gibraltar as being
> Overseas, but since I have read that there is now a district for
the
> EU elections consisting of Gibraltar and a part of Southwest
> England, I suppose I must reconsider.

very nice indeed
& of course i read you loud & clear so far
but then you add

So, I'll wiggle out of it
> another way: railroad bridges and tunnels fall into their own
> category, which I shall dump into the Thames.

hahahaha
whattt

> Penon de Velez de Gomera is certainly an exceptional case,
sort of
> an internationalized version of that famous spot on the
northern
> coast of France which is either an island or not depending on
the
> tide (I don't dare try to check if it's St. Malo or Mont-St-Michel
> for fear that I may lose everything I have typed in). So, let me
> amend the definition to read man-made causeway, leaving
Penon de
> Velez de Gomera to swing like a pendulum between being in
the
> category of Ceuta and Melilla at low tide, and like Alhucemas
and
> Chafarinas at high tide.

it is michel but as you say
only sort of
rather than an exact match
as penon would probably resemble alhucemas & chafarinas not
diurnally but only during or after a major storm if ever
as i think it may actually have done in the past

also the fact that there is no definite border on this causeway
may also serve to distinguish penon from ceuta & melilla
thus leaving you in fact with nothing other than what you sought
except that it was more a cosmic than a strictly human creation

no deficiency alarms going off there

on the contrary
isnt that really the bonus bell you are hearing there

> So, does anyone else have any ideas regarding other
continents?

what other continents

i know someone else i could ask

do you have something in mind