Subject: Re: Campobello-type islands
Date: Jun 07, 2004 @ 18:31
Author: geoh88 ("geoh88" <geoh88@...>)

Jesper, you inspired me to Google Peberholmen, which is not even in
the 4-kajillion-entry index of the gigantic 2003 eleventh edition of
The Times Comprehensive Atlas (or even portrayed on the 1:1,000,000
Plate 51).

What a delight to discover a link to trafikken.dk, with its detail
on each segment of the project.

The responses from you and acroorca have pointed out the
deficiencies in what I thought was a carefully crafted definition.

First, although Peberholmen may be the only island directly
connected to Sweden, the islands of Peberholmen, Sjaelland, Amager,
Falster, Lolland, and any other islands connected to one another are
not only connected to continental Sweden, but also to continental
Denmark via the bridges to and from Fyn(Funen).

Hypothetically, if Campobello had a bridge to Deer Island and there
also existed a bridge from Deer Island to mainland Canada by which
the residents of Campobello could drive to mainland Canada (and by
which trucks could deliver groceries) without going through another
country, Campobello would then not be a Campobello-type island.

You have made me think of another possibility: what if Campobello
and Deer Island were connected by bridge, but neither were bridged
to the Canadian mainland? In that case, I would want to consider
that a Campobello-type archipelago.

And finally, to your point about the portion of the link between
Peberholmen and Amager being a tunnel: point taken. My concept
includes tunnels for motor vehicles, but I didn't include them in my
earlier definition precisely to try to avoid the whole UK-GB-
Gibraltar-Rockall-Commonwealth-Queen-of-the-Punjab thing everytime
bloody-old England enters the picture.

And to acroorca, yes, you're absolutely correct that Great Britain,
etc., are connected to France, but not directly to Gibraltar. In
the past, I would have been inclined to argue that Gibraltar was a
separate country from GB&NI for purposes such as these, especially
since the UK government tries to categorize Gibraltar as being
Overseas, but since I have read that there is now a district for the
EU elections consisting of Gibraltar and a part of Southwest
England, I suppose I must reconsider. So, I'll wiggle out of it
another way: railroad bridges and tunnels fall into their own
category, which I shall dump into the Thames.

Penon de Velez de Gomera is certainly an exceptional case, sort of
an internationalized version of that famous spot on the northern
coast of France which is either an island or not depending on the
tide (I don't dare try to check if it's St. Malo or Mont-St-Michel
for fear that I may lose everything I have typed in). So, let me
amend the definition to read man-made causeway, leaving Penon de
Velez de Gomera to swing like a pendulum between being in the
category of Ceuta and Melilla at low tide, and like Alhucemas and
Chafarinas at high tide.

So, does anyone else have any ideas regarding other continents?

1) Yes, --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:
> hahaha
>
> Sjælland is not connected to Sweden, but Peberholmen is, and
then
Amager before Sjælland.
> Funen is also stuck on Sjælland and then connected to
continental
Europe.