Subject: Re: VAN
Date: May 11, 2004 @ 00:17
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

nice try
& i too meant to visit van in my van in message 12318 but owing
to a cold snap i actually only visited its twin terminal point
at the southeast end of this same east wv panhandle edge
aka wves
or vawv2cljelo as in clarke jefferson & loudon counties
situated in that case on top of the blue ridge

but the markers & crestline situations of these twin terminal
points are probably identical

so i would suggest
instead of following only the road
just guess where it crosses the state line by measuring on your
odometer about a third of a mile from the radio towers
& then park & climb up onto the crest of the cacapon ridge
& sight &or explore along the hump in both directions for a 4x1x1
post of raw granite
with just an x chiseled in the top face

it is probably very gray & unlikely to pop out visually
so you may have to squint to catch sight of it thru the woods
but i bet you will find it

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan"
<pit.hokie@a...> wrote:
> BPers,
>
> I know it's minutia by BP standards

hahahaha
well yes by our new standards of anything goes
but we used to do only such minutiae

, but I attempted to locate VAN this
> weekend - the northernmost point in the Commonwealth of
Virginia, USA.
> I must say that I'm a very low-tech BPer - no GPS

excellent
no tech & all wits is most fun

good luck
& while in the neighborhood dont miss the potomac bridge
between green springs wv & oldtown md

, only some maps and
> Internet research!
>
> I was in northern Virginia visiting some friends for a horse race
so I
> thought I'd stop by and try to locate VAN. Although VAN is not
> accessible through Virginia via roads, there is a state park in
West
> Virginia that borders this area. Low and behold, a park road
that
> travels the length of the long-and-thin park appears to breifly
dip into
> Virginia and circle around to come back into West Virginia
while
> crossing over - or just next to - VAN.
>
> I tried in vain to locate this point Saturday so I'm hoping one of
you
> has some pointers! The road is a dirt road with no signs or
markers to
> indicate that you've even left WV, entered VA, or vice-versa, at
any
> point. There's gotta be a marker, though, since it's a trifinium
of
> Frederick County, VA with Hampshire and Morgan Coutnies,
WV. The
> georgraphy in this area is quite rural and hilly so it's not the
easiest
> to find a needle in a kaystack, but I am hoping one of you might
be able
> to help.
>
> Thanks!
> Brendan