Subject: Re: Czech stones of all kinds -->ATCZDE
Date: May 10, 2004 @ 21:46
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
> <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> > I have seen this funny picture a couple of times now, and the
> rhyme
> > going with it. I think it's hilarious. But I do think that the spot
> > depicted is ATCZDE after all. It's just that they call it
Dreisessel,
> > and that is wrong, because, as you mention, the Dreisessel
is
> > somewhere else (although fairly nearby). It has probably to
do
> with
> > the drunk _sitting_ there, so the link with Three Seat
Mountain
> is an
> > understandable one. (I am not saying that this is how the
> mountain
> > got it's name, of course ;-))
> >
> > BTW, the top of the Dreisesselberg isn't even on the border!
> See
> > http://tinyurl.com/3x7cb .
> >
> > Peter S.
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "udo metz"
> around
> > the
> BorderPointEmail
> > from

> > > Dreisessel/Tristolicnik isnt the TP AT-CZ-DE.
> > Dreisessel/Tristolicnik-Nove
> > > udoli/Neuthal is the border crossing Nr. 41 (only
pedestrian)
> > between DE an
> > > CZ. Why is it called Dreisessel/Tristolicnik (three
> armchairs)??
> > The legend
> > > means more than 100 years ago 3 sovereigns talked
about
> their
> > borders while
> > > they were sitting in three armchairs. The old TP was
situated

http://www.umweltministerium.bayern.de/bereiche/entwick/grenz
> e/uek.htm
>
> thanxx for these golden oldies & especially the jokes
>
> at the same time
> i think all these triple seats & armchairs etc
> & the many similar names we have countered at other tripoints
> most probably just refer to the 3 thrones or sovereign powers
> that converged territorially at each of these tripoints
>
> & that this 3seater idea is really just an old name in perhaps
> many european languages for any tricountry point
> or any trisovereign area generally
>
> & i dont think the sovereigns actually brought their chairs to the
> tripoint areas to chat there
>
> but that these seats are just a common linguistic & literary
> conceit thru which the abstract idea of sovereignty is
represented
> by the concrete object that often contains it
>
> even today we still speak of
> the throne
> the holy see
> judicial or county seats
> etc
> etc
> but we also dont mean actual chairs or bums
> so much as the abstractions they represent

i still think i am right about all this
despite having just had the pleasure of being contradicted by
rare if not unprecedented & indeed simultaneous trisovereign
visits to both atitsi & czdepl
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/01/1083224646600.ht
ml
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&story
ID=5007071§ion=news
& tho it isnt clear if all these heads of state actually visited these
tripoints class a
or just slouched about somewhere in the general vicinities
i wish such lovely contradictions as this really do become a habit