Subject: Re: Manila Asks Hanoi to Explain Spratly Joyride
Date: Apr 22, 2004 @ 17:35
Author: Henry Hirose ("Henry Hirose" <silentcity@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002" <orc@o...> wrote:
> the paracel islands too are claimed by 3 countries
> namely cntwvn
> but are occupied only by china

There is also the Pratas (Dongsha) Islands which are much closer to
the Chinese mainland which are occupied by Taiwan.

There was a report from 2000 which stated that the city of Kaohsiung,
under which jurisdiction Dongsha falls, was to start tourist cruises
to the islands. But I cannot find any more coverage of the issue.

The below link is for this article, in Japanese:

http://www.roc-taiwan.or.jp/news/week/1949/115.html

> &
> since china & taiwan & vietnam all likewise claim all the spratlys
> http://cat.middlebury.edu/southchinasea/macand/
> it would appear that the perhaps 8 spratlys that are also claimed
> by the philippines
> & the perhaps 4 other spratlys that are also claimed by malaysia
> comprise all together the dozen most claimed territories in the
> world
> being evidently all tied at 4 claimants each
> whether cnphtwvn or cnmytwvn

I believe that Brunei also claims the Spratlys which does make it the
most contested lands on earth.

As for islands that are claimed by three countries, there are the
offshore islands of the Antarctic Peninsula. These are included in
the Antarctic territories of Britain, Chile, and Argentina. The
caveat is that due to the Antarctic Treaty, all territorial claims to
lands south of the 60 parallel are held in abeyance, thus not
exercised.

Henry Hirose