Subject: manmade feature borders was Re: Strange section chit border
Date: Apr 13, 2004 @ 13:45
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

good on this & your previous message too
but
as i realized & indicated when i first brought this
http://tinyurl.com/3gjob
the fix is in

&
all the steps & other features are off
except
the outer edges & extensions of the colonnades are on

or dont you agree

this pic shows how the curvature of the portal extends the outer
lines of the colonnades
http://tinyurl.com/2s29x

of course we would still need more detail to conclude which of
the several possible architectural edges &or surface features
itva actually follows
& thence to conclude if it really does arc smoothly rather than
lurch by chords

for now
i think we can only presume it follows the outermost edges of the
entire structure
whatever & wherever these may be
tho the border is probably not as far out as the actual curb line
that distinguishes the above photo

my guess is the curb curve only approximates & shadows itva at
some slight but constant remove

i am still seeking better pics of the various facades & roof lines
& any indication of whether the itva line is marked across the
entrance in any way

however
despite the wealth of photos aimed in practically every
imaginable direction
it looks like further progress on these questions will probably
require first hand observations

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> You asked:
>
> > but can anyone who has seen the entire flight of steps
describe
> > its length
> >
> > photos seem to indicate its height & width are irregular
> >
> > that much seems clear
> >
> > but what i would really like to see or fully imagine at this point
is
> > an aerial view or architectural plan of the entire piazza with
> > colonnades & steps in full detail
>
> If you will go to the map on the official Vatican site at
> http://tinyurl.com/3gjob , you will see the plan of the steps in
front of the
> Basilica. They are the trapezoidal area with a half-round
projection on the
> front toward the ellipse. I've searched in vain for a photo with
enough
> elevation to look down onto the steps, but most are like this,
taken from the
> plaza: http://www.freewebs.com/europetrip2003/t337.JPG .
>
> These, of course, are the steps up to the bottom of which the
Italian police