Subject: Re: Czech stones of all kinds -->ATCZDE
Date: Apr 03, 2004 @ 01:45
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> I have seen this funny picture a couple of times now, and the
rhyme
> going with it. I think it's hilarious. But I do think that the spot
> depicted is ATCZDE after all. It's just that they call it Dreisessel,
> and that is wrong, because, as you mention, the Dreisessel is
> somewhere else (although fairly nearby). It has probably to do
with
> the drunk _sitting_ there, so the link with Three Seat Mountain
is an
> understandable one. (I am not saying that this is how the
mountain
> got it's name, of course ;-))
>
> BTW, the top of the Dreisesselberg isn't even on the border!
See

<udomet@g...> wrote:
> > > Also, Tripoint drunks, incl. ATCZDE (the drunk was lying
around
> the
> > > old ATCSDE marker - pics from Wolfgang's zip
BorderPointEmail
> from
> > > message 1170):

> > Dreisessel/Tristolicnik isnt the TP AT-CZ-DE.
> Dreisessel/Tristolicnik-Nove
> > udoli/Neuthal is the border crossing Nr. 41 (only pedestrian)
> between DE an
> > CZ. Why is it called Dreisessel/Tristolicnik (three
armchairs)??
> The legend
> > means more than 100 years ago 3 sovereigns talked about
their
> borders while
> > they were sitting in three armchairs. The old TP was situated
there
> to about
> > 1770 and then the TP was moved to the new place/current
TP. Look
> the map

http://www.umweltministerium.bayern.de/bereiche/entwick/grenz
e/uek.htm

thanxx for these golden oldies & especially the jokes

at the same time
i think all these triple seats & armchairs etc
& the many similar names we have countered at other tripoints
most probably just refer to the 3 thrones or sovereign powers
that converged territorially at each of these tripoints

& that this 3seater idea is really just an old name in perhaps
many european languages for any tricountry point
or any trisovereign area generally

& i dont think the sovereigns actually brought their chairs to the
tripoint areas to chat there

but that these seats are just a common linguistic & literary
conceit thru which the abstract idea of sovereignty is represented
by the concrete object that often contains it

even today we still speak of
the throne
the holy see
judicial or county seats
etc
etc
but we also dont mean actual chairs or bums
so much as the abstractions they represent