Subject: Re:_CADK_-_Hans_Ø_Dispute
Date: Apr 02, 2004 @ 01:03
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman
<mikekaufman79@y...> wrote:
> Canada gov't map showing border going to North Pole.
> NWT-Nunavut boundary also goes to pole. But the map
> shows the Canadian borders going beyond its own EEZ.
> If you claim the territory, shouldn't you move the EEZ
> outward too (or at least your claim of it)? Or why
> even put the EEZ on the map?

extracts from nicholsons 1979 canadian border bible

senator pascal poirier
speaking in the canadian senate on 20 feb 1907
moved that the time had come for canada to make a formal
declaration of possession of the lands & islands situated in the
north country
& extending to the north pole

the senator based his proposal mainly on the fact that discovery
of the arctic islands had been made chiefly by the british etc etc

in the course of his speech
senator poirier maintained that all the islands between west
longs 141 & 60 up to the north pole were canadian territory

he suggested
that the division of the arctic area according to what has since
become known as the sector principle would reduce
international conflict in the area
that the arctic islands might somehow prove a valuable asset
that etc
that etc

this wasnt the first canadian claim to the pole
for it was even a conceit of new france to be bounded on the
north by the pole
etc
but what made the 1907 speech so notable was the fact that it
was a quasi official public utterance
whereas previous official records of the northern limits of canada
had been by order in council
& the fact that it was a statement of sovereignty made in the 20th
century but in the manner of the 16th century

however
senator poiriers proposal was not adopted
& the minister of the interior dissociated himself from it

the polar claims dont appear to have been officially stated in
public til june 1925
when the minister of the interior stated on several occasions
during debate in the house of commons that canada claimed
right up to the pole

lines delimiting the sector have subsequently appeared on
political maps of canada published by the federal government

these
it is presumed however
should merely be regarded as lines of allocation
which are delimited thru the high seas or unexplored areas for
the purpose of allocating lands without conveying sovereignty
over the high seas

& only after beginning a new topic heading of
territorial waters
does nicholson finally come round to making my point in answer
to your above questions mike
as follows

senator poiriers proposal might have raised a discussion on the
whole question of territorial waters
for tho his sector claim is presumed to apply only to land within
the sector
the presence of the sector boundaries on official maps almost
implies a claim to the high seas forming part of the arctic ocean
over which it has always been presumed that it is impossible for
national sovereignty to exist

ok this is me again now mike
& i can only add that subsequent maritime law has only proved
him still more correct about all of this than he was even in 1979

& of course eezs must be land based
being seaward projections of coastal baselines

& canada wont be able to hold the 141st meridian against an
american onslaught based on the actual law of the sea rather
than some flimsy allocational claim

http://atlas.gc.ca/site/english/maps/reference/national/can_politi
cal_e/referencemap_view_image

> --- acroorca2002 <orc@o...> wrote:
> > this is already such a beautiful montage

however i will cut to the present chase only