Subject: Re: New Subject - Gwadur / Gwadar / Gawadur
Date: Mar 30, 2004 @ 06:13
Author: Joachim Duester ("Joachim Duester" <jduester@...>)

Thanks a lot for providing the link for that interesting article in
DAWN about Gwadur - a place that Pakistan wanted so badly and
apparently neglegted so much after it got it. I still have doubts
whether, in legal terms, you can talk of a "sale" of Gwadur. A sale is
a transaction between two parties, money against goods or other items.
Here we have Sultan Said accepting money from a third party, the UK,
for withdrawing from Gwadar and not opposing a Pakistani takeover.
Does it matter whether Pakistan reimbursed the UK or whether the UK
spent its own money?

Funny how newspapers create their own stories: I recall that in the
1990s during my time as a Consul General in Dubai, newspapers
(Pakistani?) spread the rumour of Oman "buying" or "leasing" Gwadar
back from Pakistan! At the origin of this was, if I remember
correctly, the news that an Omani company was interested in investing
in some industrial plant in Gwadur.

I did not find the time to read the archive sources on the postal
services provided by Pakistan in Gwadur before 1958. In any case, the
postal agency did not have any extraterritorial status. It was just a
convenient arrangement for both sides, and I can try to dig up the
documents.

If anyone looks for more info on the transfer of Gwadur from Muscat to
Pakistan, there are two lengthy chapters in the following books:

Miriam Joyce, "The Sultanate of Oman: a twentieth century history"
(Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 1995), chapter "Relinquishing Gawadur" on
pp. 65-82; and

R.W. Bailey (ed.), "Records of Oman", (Archive Eds., 1988 and 1992),
chapter "Relations with Pakistan: Gwadur" in Vol. 10 on pp. 599-752.

Joachim Duester

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"