Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: a funny thing keeps happening on the way to menhus
Date: Mar 17, 2004 @ 23:42
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I agree that the boundary through Portsmouth Harbor in the wide mouth of the
Piscataqua River lacks proper demarcation, but any fair interpretation of the
1740 royal decree's "Middle of the River" would have to leave the naval base on
Seavey Island in Maine. There's no comparison between the wide, deep channel
south of the island and the narrow, shallow, and twice bridged channel north of
the island. Just look at the soundings on the topo map!

New Hampshire's previous claim to the low water line on the north shore (shot
down by the Supremes in 2001 without telling us where the boundary really is)
was clearly based on something other than the aforementioned order of George II
in council--namely prescription and acquiescence.

I suspect that the comedian from Dover, New Hampshire, who wishes to avoid Maine
income taxes on his earnings at the naval yard, is going to say:

"Well, you know, Maine (and Massachusetts before it) were in past times rather
lax in asserting their sovereignty over Seavey Island, and the feds were
perennially confused as to the postal address for the naval base, so that puts
it in tax-free New Hampshire!"

I seem to recall that a long history of federal involvement that was oblivious
to the presence of any state boundary, coupled with extended neglect by New
Jersey, did not avail New York any more of Ellis Island than Charles II had
granted to the Duke of York in 1664. I suspect that the Supremes will rule this
time as they did then.

I don't blame Mr. Bourre for pointing out that the boundary is uncertain and
bringing the issue to a head; but in the meantime, I'd advise him to set aside
the money that Maine wants. Anything else would be wishful thinking.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA