Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] where & how far are the farthest places continued
Date: Mar 13, 2004 @ 06:15
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I don't have any time for complex maths now, since my household is over 32 hours
without running water, and it will be mid-morning tomorrow at best when I can
get it running again.

The sole practical function of the equatorial bulge is to match the sea beds and
dry lands to the effects of centrifugal force on the fluid seas--i.e. to keep
the equtorial regions from being swamped. Indeed, this functional approach is
what convinced Newton that there just had to be an equatorial bulge, all
mathematics aside.

There is no centrifugal force at the precise point of the poles, because those
points are not in rotation. The force is greatest at the Equator, since it is
in fastest rotation.

The formula for determining centrifugal force is:
F=mv²/r
In other words, the force equals the mass of the rotating object times its
velocity squared divided by the radius. (For the purpose of this formula, the
"radius" of any point on the earth would not be its distance from the earth's
center, but its perpendicular distance from the earth's axis.)

Perhaps someone with enough mathematical skills (and running water) might be
able to determine the rate of change in centrifugal force per minute of latitude
in the vicinity of the equator. That should approximate the rate of change in
the equatorial bulge.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA