Subject: Re: caprivi strip - Yes Zimbabwe touches Caprivi
Date: Mar 12, 2004 @ 01:42
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"
<raedwulf16@y...>
> wrote:
> > does the caprivi strip of namibia touch zimbabwe?
>
> Yes, it does.
>
> I just received this input from Namibia today: "Namibia is
meeting
> Zimbabwe only at a point at the confluence of the Zambezi and
Chobe
> rivers. This is, to my knowledge, the only point in the world
> (quadruple point) where four countries meet at one point
(Namibia,
> Zimbabwe, Botswana and Zambia)."
>
> It is from Dr. Klaus Dierks. He ought to know about that to
which is
> is making his statement. His "pedigree" is as follows:

hahahahahahaha

you must have been joking len

for didnt you know

locals dont

or usually dont know

it is almost a law

another example of the same principle
taken from an also otherwise auspicious & seemingly reliable &
indeed encyclopedically erudite botswanan source
& not a counterexample to yours tho it could have been
as its conclusion contradicts yours
http://www.eyesonafrica.net/Production/bots_more.htm#genrl_inf

but this contradiction is just as misguided in claiming that a
botswana zambia border of 700 meters length is definitely
interposed between namibia & zimbabwe as your professor
dierks is misguided in his claim of a definite quadripoint there

for as has been shown here again recently
the correct answer can neither be simply yes nor simply no in
this case
but only
maybe sometimes

fantastic self parody tho
for which you deserve the highest comedy award
unless you really meant it that all this pedigree really persuaded
you this informant really knew what he was talking about here

but in either case the following is so hilarious i think i will read it
again
except more slowly this time

> He served as a Roads Engineer (for more than 30 years) in the
Namibian
> Department of Transport and throuigh it, he gained a thorough
> knowledge of all parts of Namibia, and especially of its roads
network
> (since the early 1960s). He carried out field research for his
> doctoral thesis on the development of a roads system for an
> independent Namibia. He has published several studies on
engineering
> issues in Namibia, especially pertaining to the country's
railways,
> roads and telecommunications (nearly 40 publications so far).
Dierks
> joined the SWAPO Party in 1982 and was forced by the colonial
interim
> government of 1985-1989 to resign after 22 years of service in
the
> Department of Transport. When Namibia gained its
independence in March
> 1990, Dierks was appointed Deputy Minister for Works,
Transport and
> Communication. He served as a member of the first
independent
> Parliament, and was re-elected to the second Parliament in
1994
> (served until 21 March 2000). Following elections for the
second
> government in 1995 he was reappointed Deputy Minister for
Works,
> Transport and Communication. From March 1999 he was the
Deputy
> Minister for Mines and Energy. He retired after ten years as a
> Namibian Government Minister and Member of Parliament on
21 March
> 2000. In March 2000 the Namibian Cabinet appointed him as
the Chairman
> of the Namibian Electricity Board (ECB). On April, 15th 2002 he
was
> appointed by the Cabinet of the Government of Namibia as a
member of
> the Board of Directors of TransNamib Holdings Ltd. The Board
members
> elected him unanimously as Chairman of the Namibian
Railway Company.
> The Cabinet appointed Dierks as Director of the Namibia Road
Fund
> Administration with effect from June, 13th 2003.
>
> He kindly permitted me to post his published history of Walvis
Bay at