Subject: Re: How far is it?
Date: Mar 11, 2004 @ 06:20
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

great
thanx
i get it

so we should drop the circumferential pursuit
because even if we could determine the exact longitudes of the
longest meridional circuit
which we cant
no single pair of points on that circuit would present themselves
as being any farther apart along the earths surface than any
other pair

& this regardless of whether they were actually antipodal or not
hahaha

& therefore we can cut back to the only chase that we still have
left to us
by examining & comparing topographical maps of the sumatra &
ecuador neighborhoods
so as to try to find the pair of antipodes thereabouts with the
greatest combined elevation above sea level

to be continued no doubt

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Insertions below between lines marked thus: +++++++++

equatorial regions
> providently bulge upward to precisely match their swell! Since
solid structure
> and centrifugal effects on fluid must be in perfect agreement,
the equatorial
> bulge and the polar flats must necessarily spread broadly and
blend gradually.
> I doubt that the rate of bulging is constant throughout. I would
expect the
> rate to be greatest near the equator where the centrifugal force
is greatest.
> If it were constant, though, that rate would be 477 meters per
degree of
> latitude. If so, then just a few degrees of latitude from the
equator would
> negate the effects of some fairly pronounced differences in
relief.
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> if the former
> then you must be right on with ecuador & sumatra
> & we might proceed to narrow the possibilities further
>
> & if the latter
> then we might have to consider peaks of the entire equatorial
> region
> conceivably even as far afield as the tropics
>
> ++++++++++++++++
> It wouldn't be nearly that far.
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> still guessing wildly here of course
>
> in other words
> i do realize lowness of latitude will generally trump height of
> altitude
> but dont know yet at what latitude this advantage begins to
taper
> off
>
> so can you think of any way to evaluate these parameters
> or to at least bridge the apparent data gap
> because i think this additional understanding could be
essential
> before proceeding further
>
> more below
>

> > The two most circumferentially distant antipodes present an
> entirely different
> > question. The polar flattening causes the shortest
> circumferential routes
> > between any two antipodes to be along a great circle through
> the poles.
>
> ok but thats the shortest & we want the longest
>
> ++++++++++++++++
> Yes, but what we want to find is the longest of the shortest
(most direct
> possible) circumferential routes--as opposed to those that
take unnecessarily
> long and scenic paths just to make themselves longer.
Imagine two equatorial
> antipodes and the question of the circumferential distance
between them. They
> could be joined by an equatorial route, a polar route, or
anything in between.
> The equatorial route would be unnecessarily long because it
runs the bulge all
> the way around. The polar route would clearly be shortest
(most direct), and
> thus the truest answer to the question of the distance between
any pair of
> antipodes.
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> & does your next statement follow from this
>
> you seem to follow now by saying there are none shorter than
> any others
> which seems a contradiction of the above
>
> ++++++++++++++++
> What I say is that none of the most direct (polar) routes would
differ in length
> from each other on an earth without relief. They would certainly
differ from
> unnecessarily longer indirect (non-polar) routes.
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> or do both of these propositions make sense independently
>
> On a
> > smooth oblate spheroid (an earth without relief), any pair of
> antipodes would be
> > equally interdistant one from the other. This is because any
> imaginable great
> > circle connecting them would make two crossings of the
> bulging equatorial region
> > and two of the flattened polar regions. On the real world, only
> the matter of
> > elevational relief crossed in the process would differentiate
the
> distances
> > between any pair of antipodes. You would want to pick the
> diametrically
> > opposite pair of west and east longitudes that cross the
> maximum amount of
> > continental relief during their circuit of the earth, then choose
> any two
> > antipodes on that circuit--perhaps something like 70° W and
> 110° E.
>
> interesting too
> tho i am not sure i understand
>
> are you saying here that all circumferential differences are
> levelled except for those presented by relief
>
> ++++++++++++++++
> Unfortunately, yes. I am saying that all direct polar routes
between any two
> true antipodes should be equal except for the effects of
intervening relief.
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> but in that case it seems to me we face the difficulty of having
> measure in detail the actual terrain crossed by every possible
> great circle in the world
>
> or rather not just the difficulty but the ultimate imponderability &
> practical impossibility of it
>
> so maybe the supposed answerability of this question actually
> evaporates under the heat of scrutiny
>
> ++++++++++++++++
> Yes, it does! Of course, there would be no way to effectively
measure such
> relief. One could only generalize that a route running the length
of the Andes
> would be considerably longer than one skimming the smooth
waters of the Pacific,
> etc. That is why we would probably do best to disregard relief
as a factor and
> simply bask in the sheer wonder of this proposition: The
equality of
> circumferential distance between any two antipodes
(something that we would
> expect to find on a perfect sphere) obtains nevertheless on our
oblately
> spheroidal earth! End of my insertions.
> ++++++++++++++++
>
> but i am sure i dont fully understand this yet
> so please clarify further if you can
>
> thanx
>
> end insertions
>

> > Lowell G. McManus
> > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

try
> > > pointing quest by turning it into an actual tripointing quest
> > >
> > > moreover your upgraded version is interesting in its own
right

> > > & it holds forth some promise of being ultimately
answerable
> too
> > >

> > > so have a leading pair of candidates suggested
themselves
> yet
> > >

> > > & having tried a few things too
> > > i can report that the original quest
> > > namely
> > > which points on earth are farthest apart
> > > & exactly how far apart are they
> > > remains as hard to make any real headway with as it is
hard
> > > improve upon in curiosity value & elegance
> > >

> > > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
> McManus"
> > > apart, one should
> candidates