Subject: Re: caprivi strip - Yes Zimbabwe touches Caprivi
Date: Mar 07, 2004 @ 00:22
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Artur Kroc" <kroc@i...>
wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Ernst Stavro Blofeld
> <blofeld_es@y...> wrote:
> >
> > --- "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> . This is, to my knowledge, the only point in
> > > the world
> > > (quadruple point) where four countries meet at one
> > > point...
> Only one?

not even 1 for sure artur
the above title & local informant to the contrary notwithstanding

as i mentioned in messages 13416 & 13417 & 13419
to which the long encyclopedia article covering this was attached
the best available nutshell answer to the original question is
maybe sometimes

& this uncertainty & this transiency are owing to the known fact
that at least 2 of the 4 convergent borders dont stand still but
constantly move about
by definition
with the living thalwegs of rivers

& there is far from any certainty that everything has ever lined up
there to form an exact quadripoint even for a fleeting moment

very much likelier are a pair of tripoints with a very short
botswana zambia border between them
all moving about as specified
to be sure
but with no contact at all between namibia & zimbabwe

trust me on this one
or do the reading

more below

I think, that another one is maritime quadripoint: Nauru,
> Solomon Islands, Tuvalu and Kiribati.
> http://go.hrw.com/atlas/norm_map/oceania.gif
> http://www.worldstadiums.com/oceania/maps/oceania.shtml
> Is it true?

these are not actually international boundary lines but
allocational lines that simply group all the islands correctly

the boundaries of the actual territorial seas of these countries
are generally about 12 nautical miles from land
& those of their exclusive economic zones are generally up to an
additional 188 nautical miles

a map of these actual borders is shown at
http://maritimeboundaries.com
& there are no known quadripoints among them either

more to come in another message