Subject: Re: Strange section chit border
Date: Mar 06, 2004 @ 13:23
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

& if you can distinguish these apples from these oranges
you can have either or both of them

but please understand that they are 2 entirely different fruits

you can speak in terms of lines that appear straight on maps
as we have been doing

& you can speak in terms of lines that actually are straight
as we have also been doing

the thing that unites these 2 distinct topics is
the line of sight
aka the shortest distance between 2 points
aka the great circle route between them

so a line you can sight between intervisible markers will both
appear straight on good maps & actually be straight

beyond that
i believe you may be headed off in 2 different directions with this

also i think you may be right to consider the equator not a
parallel of latitude
since latitude is normally defined as an angular relationship to
the equatorial plane
& thus the equator itself technically has no latitude

indeed it is sometimes even called zero latitude

but of course it is a great circle

& of course it is a nonmeridional line of constant bearing

& of course it is both rightly depicted as
& actually is
a straight line
in the horizontal plane

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman