Subject: Re: BYUARU
Date: Mar 04, 2004 @ 12:50
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> > also message 9854
> > for excellent pix
> > plus a link to background info on ruua in general
> > which effectively confirms what this map shows
> >
> > for it indicates that the former soviet administrative borders
have
> > neither been changed nor upgraded
> >
> > & thus this monument
> > unlike some other soviet ceremonial tripoint monuments
> > must be considered the actual tripoint marker
> > unless & until there are further developments &or clarification
>
> I am still not convinced, since I've read a decree issued by the
> Byelorussian government on the talks to be held between BY,
RU, and
http://pravo2000.by.ru/baza10/d09206.htm ).
> It states explicitely that a tripoint marker will be placed. How
> then? On top of the monument?

looking forward to hearing anything further you may learn about
this placement
or eventual placement
but for now
my best guessed answers to your questions are essentially
unchanged from the part of message 13400 that was deleted

which is to say
until contradicted by some more plausible idea or harder fact
the exact tripoint location
whether actually marked in detail yet or not
is most putatively in the pavement of the pedestal
centered among the 3 monumental uprights

also a comment i have been wanting to make

& it is not directed toward you peter but offered in general
& only since it has come up in just this way

could i suggest to everyone responding to earlier messages that
they leave the original text entire
on principle
& merely insert their responses or add them above or below it

it is easy enough for readers to distinguish the old from the new
text & to know who is saying what

but since our pursuit is so technical & our necessary data so
fugitive & our ability to restore lost data so limited
i dont see much gain in clipping

especially if anything of any technical significance is involved

which it usually is

& is so frequently lost

by well meaning people

who simply want to focus better

& assume uncluttering is the best way to do it

which it normally is

except here

for here the fullest possible access to detail & context is far more
a plus than a minus