Subject: Re: karabakh enclaves
Date: Feb 27, 2004 @ 19:09
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...>
wrote:
> Hi, Chris (and others secondarily),
> Members who can't receive BPt messages by email, and who read them
> from the webpages, can't benefit from the attachments, because Yahoo
> deletes them. Can you store them in the future in the photos and
then
> make reference to them?

On Gmane the attachments can be seen (although at this very moment I
can't reach them, but earlier today I could - I too don't receive BP
messages by e-mail).

(...)

> Re: the substance of your message - these aren't international level
> ex- and enclaves around Karabach, but ethnically disputed
territory.
> I have a map of the place from ITMB Publishing of Canada, which is a
> neutral, third party publication, unlike the map to wwhich you
> referred, and the exclaves/enclaves are shown with a neutral yellow
> line around them, and no -.-.-.-.-.- or -..-..-..-..- type of border
> indicator. No complaint here about the reference to a "biased"
map,
> because it was really interesting to see the represented standpoint,
> but we shouldn't forget it is a piece of propaganda.

I am certain Chris knows that they are not international enclaves -
he explicitely states so on his web site.

"Ethnically disputed" isn't the issue here. I don't deny that the
area is disputed, but so is the whole of NK plus a substantial part
of Azerbaijan. The borders are Soviet borders, and as far as I know
never changed by independent Azerbaijan - probably because they never
had the chance to do so. As long as there is no final solution to the
conflict, the old Soviet boundaries are the only ones to go by. So
they can be considered secundary Azeri boundaries. Or historical
boundaries, if you prefer.

Peter S.