Subject: Re: Is this a ARCL border marker?
Date: Feb 25, 2004 @ 22:19
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "m06079" <barbaria_longa@h...>
wrote:
> & maybe we can even figure out why this otherwise perfectly
> meridional arcl boundary appears to lurch so at marker xxv

I don't know, but XXVI seems to be in dispute, or was in dispute,
acc. to http://www.unrc.edu.ar/hielos/hist_n.htm ("Los 24 puntos sin
demarcaciĆ³n son: (...) Hito en la orilla norte del Canal de Beagle
(Pcia. de Tierra del Fuego)") (how a marker can be not marked puzzles
me a bit though...).

BTW, the mixed boundary commission is known as COMIX... :-))

The ARCL border isn't that straight on Tierra del Fuego: note the
deviation at hito XI at
http://www.tierradelfuego.org.ar/planeamiento/M1.htm .

I suspect it's the same story as with CAUS: after demarcation, the
border is fixed, even if it deviates from the border definition of
the treaty.

Peter S.