Subject: Re: Israel Army Proposes to Create Enclaves
Date: Feb 15, 2004 @ 05:28
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Item 1 - Exclaves or not? There have been articles asserting (with
substance) that the Israeli's are shaping for themselves what will be
de-facto and de-jure the border between the Palestinian and Israeli
areas of sovereignty (or sovereignty-autonomy, or sovereignty-semi or
quasi-sovereignty, or ???) at some time in the not too distant future.
I contend that the two circles of walls proposed, which just happen
to circumnavigate two Paslestinian towns that currently have open
access to the main body of the West Bank without citizens having to
cross outside of the WestBank into "Israel proper", will become, de
facto, pieces with international sovereign administration inside of
them that won't be Israeli, creating a de facto international border
around them. Any variations between the true border and the wall,
where their "routes" vary and leave Israeli sovereign areas inside the
circle will be Israeli land over which where it exercises no sovereign
rights (except maybe on occasion to paint the side of thee wall
visible from the Palestinian portion inside). Any Palestinian lands
outside the wall will simply become victim of the "what's mine is mine
and what's yours is negotiable" philosophy, so eloquently verbalized
by John Kennedy in the 1960s.

Item 2 - the MX-US spandex boundary being unique. I believe that also
exists on the Vennbahn bridges. We have Belgian "Bahnkorper" by
treaty crossing over, but uninterrupted German sovereignty over roads
under the bridges, which makes what we think of as German exclaves to
the west of the tracks not necessarily so - given that there is
uninterrupted road access under the bridges without leaving Germany.
The situation with US-MX seems similar - because "what you see is what
oyu have to deal with", and only when a need surfaces, will there be
consideration given to adding a little additional precision to the
governing treaty.

Item 3 - I still wonder that if one is on the bridge on the north side
of the river bank, and, to escape arrest, would drop off of it and
land under it, but above part of the buried foundation, in what
country and which jurisdiction would properly have arrest powers?
Only the Mexican's apparently, could arrest someone on the bridge
south of the border marker, and it seems too easy to drop off into the
US and escape Mexican justice. What if, just before the US police
arrived, the "escapee" found a workman's metal step that led up the
support pillar, and climbed a couple of feet up onto it, to be off the
ground. Would he be back in Mexico?

I also wonder if the customs border is contiguous with the
international line. Dropping contraband off the bridge from Mexico to
the US sounds too easy - it would put Mr. Ashcroft's people in the
position of having to intercept packages on the way down to keep drugs
from crossing the border.

LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> I understand everything that you're saying, but I refuse to go there.
>
> A typical boundary might be considered analogous to an imaginary
vertical wall
> stretching from the center of the earth to the upper reaches of the
atmosphere
> or beyond. However that's only an analogy. The situation that
obtains on MXUS
> bridges, with their treaty-ordained vertical differentiation, is
anything but
> typical. It is arguably unique in all the world. As such, it does
not lend
> itself to analogies. To even try would require the typical
imaginary wall to
> become a curtain of the very finest spandex, which would envelope
and cling
> around every protuberance and into every orifice of the human and
vehicular
> traffic moving upon those segments of the bridges that are between
the movable
> middle of the Rio Grande and the fixed boundary monuments on the
bridges.

> This desire to over-analogize the situation seems to spring from the
notion that
> boundaries are physical objects or laws of nature that are subject
to the most
> minute mensuration. This is not the case. Boundaries proceed from
the minds
> of men, who decide what and where they should be. Agreements as to
these
> decisions are committed to paper. Men then go out onto the
landscape and
> jointly demarcate the boundary, relying upon nothing more as their
mandate than
> the agreed-upon words and numbers on paper.
>
> To put it bluntly, there is no provision for a clingy spandex
curtain in the
> MXUS treaty of 1970 (a fact for which the International Boundary and
Water
> Commission is undoubtedly grateful). No demarcation beyond the
periodic mapping
> of the middle of the main channel of the river and the placement of
monuments on
> bridges is mandated. Why? Because that is sufficient to determine
which
> sovereignty is applicable to every foreseeable practical
eventuality. That's