Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] CAUS - More tightening
Date: Feb 10, 2004 @ 06:59
Author: Doug Murray (Doug Murray <doug@...>)

There are exceptions, however.

Just last week I was down to Zero Avenue and Peach Arch Park on the
Pacific coast. I stayed in Canada while exploring Zero Ave., but I did
cross in and out of the US at the Peach Arch numerous times. No fines.
No officials. Nothing. It is simply allowed. Hence, having a park.
However, there must be some official paperwork that makes this ok to
do. In fact, a tourist could easily walk into Blaine, Washington,
without much trouble -- and without knowing. I wonder how often that's
happened?

I was armed with a US$1 note and went straight for the pop machines
that are on the US side of the park. But the darn things wouldn't take
it. It's a rare thing to visit a foreign land and not spend anything.

Cheers,

Doug

On Monday, February 9, 2004, at 10:05 AM, Kevin Meynell wrote:

> >The difference this time is that it involves an American citizen.
>
> I don't really want to make a comment on this issue, except to mention
> skiing trip I made last week. The ski area of La Thuile-La Rosiere
> straggles the Italian-French border (no prizes for guessing why I
> chose to
> go there ;-)) and it's quite possible to ski from one country to the
> next,
> as I did during the week. There are no border controls whatsoever, and
> in
> fact one of the pistes *is* the boundary in places which meant that I
> visited France and Italian several times in one run! If that was the
> US-CA
> border, I would hate to think how many times I'd have been fined ;-)
>
> I did get a couple of pictures of the border area, although the only
> thing
> I saw resembling a boundary marker was halfway up an inaccessible
> mountain.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin Meynell

<image.tiff>