Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: American ghost tripoints
Date: Feb 07, 2004 @ 22:38
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike wrote:

> to begin with
> de jure tripunctivity is what we are primarily after here
> isnt it
> so anyway de facto is fine
> but i say bring on the de jure truth in all its convolution
> because that is a primary objective in all our try pointing

That's fine with me. To each his own. If those are your standards, then it was
a tripoint.

> i realize it is a difference in our point of view
>
> but i also think you are being a little unrealistic to think in terms
> of actual de facto tripoints when even the actual de facto borders are
> so elusive & ephemeral & arbitrary thruout this area & period

That they were! I'm just a bit hesitant to ordain a spot as an unqualified
tripoint when only two of the three parties agree as to its location.

> so our hastily claimed starting corner
> of 31st & miss between 1783 & 1803
> proves to be both
> esgbus1783 for an unknown number of days

The pertinent dates of the treaties were November 30, 1782, and September 3,
1783. That comes to 277 days.

> whattt
> thats the freakin ellicott line
> & many of the mounds are still recoverable

Okay! Thanks. I will confess that I know Andrew Ellicott only in general terms
by his high reputation. Looking for him in the index, I have now found BUS&SS's
account of his survey of the 31st parallel from the Mississippi River eastward,
but it's located in the section on Georgia!

> whoa
> perhaps for esgbus1783 i might agree
> but not for 1800esfrus1803 as thats post ellicott
> but we do have ellicotts 1799 map
> we need to cut direct to ellicott

Yes, I fully agree--now that Ellicot's work has sprung to my knowledge from its
exile in Georgia.

> do you mean what state has more gall than louisiana
> could you rephrase the question

Never mind. It was a rhetorical question intended to point out the brazen
unneighborliness of locating a penitentiary against the boundary of another
state.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA