Subject: Re: source of rio grande etc
Date: Jan 31, 2004 @ 19:04
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> You asked:
>
> > or can anyone say if this rio source or metasource point was
perhaps
> > specified in the mxtx1836 treaty as the summit of canby mtn
> >
> > rather than the point to which the mainstream could be traced
> > experimentally
> > even above its headspring
> > to the crest
>
> The May 14, 1836 MXTX agreements called the "Treaties of Velasco"
specified
> little as to boundaries. They did provide for the withdrawal of
the Mexican
> army beyond the Rio Grande, and the Mexican dictator promised to
work toward a
> treaty of limits to provide that Texas would not lie south of the
Rio Grande.

but youve done it again maestro

for besides ruling canby summit out
you have confirmed we need to begin from the rio source
whether
the natural sawanabori headspring source
or
the meta sawanabori thalweg point on the physical crest line
somewhere still unknown above the headspring source

i am still not sure which of these 2 probabilities is correct
but i do think it is correctly either one or the other

but that is already an enormous help
& confirms my first topozone swatch was correct
for showing both the rio headspring point
at least according to this the most detailed available usgs topo
& undoubtedly also the alternative point based on it

& it also confirms texas could only lie generally northward but not
southward anywhere on the right bank

hence
the north line to the limit of mexico at nlat 42
hence the stovepipe
& its nw corner
the confirmed 1836mxtxus1845

for you have also confirmed all this was both de facto in 1836 &
projected to become de jure by both parties since 1836

& again my time is almost up
but i am deliberately going slow this time
& there is much more of interest here
so i will have to continue this in probably several more steps

so again thanx for bearing with me

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/TT/mgt5.html
.

> The Texas claim to the Rio Grande as the boundary was formalized in
a statute
> passed by the Congress of the Republic on December 19, 1936, which
declared the
> boundary to be the Rio Grande from its mouth to its source, and
from there
> northward to the 1819 treaty line, etc.
>
> So, that is the basis for the MXTXUS tripoint of 1836-1845
somewhere in modern
> Wyoming.
>
> As to which of the several tributaries in eastern San Juan County,
Colorado, is
> the true source of the Rio Grande, I have no firm opinion. Every
time I've
> found a detailed map naming one of them "Rio Grande," I find
another map naming
> the same as some creek or other and a different one as "Rio
Grande." Not even