Subject: Re: roundabouts
Date: Jan 27, 2004 @ 19:55
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Meynell <knm@m...> wrote:

> >Even in gridded streets roundabout are indeed useful.
>
> At the risk of getting off the multipoint topic,

hahahaha
no risk of that now kevin
as this horse was already off topic when it got out the barn door

it is just that people love to contribute so much that they will jump
in even at the most associative of opportunities & never even notice
what a centripetal tear they are on

cant blame them tho
especially if they are having fun
as they obviously were in this case

but your observance of the topic even at this late hour is certainly
appreciated
& your comments do bring some much needed sense

special mention to doug also for getting the traffic to circulate
around an actual tripoint

& of course to peter
who saw the opportunity & just flat out quintupled

partial credit for whoever observed that there are international
traffic circles

we have lots of
> roundabouts here in the UK. They very effectively and safely manage
> low-to-medium traffic flows at intersections, although they tend to
become
> somewhat ineffective with extremely high traffic flows. In these
cases,
> they're usually traffic-light controlled, although a
straightforward
> US-style intersection would be just as effective if perhaps
slightly less
> safe (roundabouts reduce the incidences of high-speed 'broadsiding'
which
> appears to be an particular problem in North America).
>
> The Dutch have similar-style roundabouts in places, although
they're
> usually single lane and located at quieter intersections. The
French also
> have 'roundabouts', although IMO theirs work less efficiently as
it's the
> cars on the roundabout that have to give way.
>
> >I recall someone in LA mentioning California didn't have
roundabouts for