Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: whats wrong with this picture
Date: Jan 16, 2004 @ 04:20
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

I am shaking my head yes and no at the same time.

(If you wanted to know the specific words to which I object, why didn't you just
ask?)

I disagree with both of Van Zandt's two "appearances." The second one is
embodied in the phrase that you suggest (the one regarding congressional
"recommendation or request"). The first, and to me the most obviously
erroneous, is that Texas acquired no advantage over other states by the Brown
Amendment.

Throughout the current protracted exchange (and for 27 years before), it has
been a mystery to me how the great man could have written that Texas has no
advantage, when the Congress has clearly given it a consent that no other state
currently holds. I think that (just tonight) I am beginning to see where he
went wrong (or the divergence of his reasoning from mine, if you prefer), and
I'm endeavoring to perceive his logic--though I shall never agree.

Only in light of Van Zandt's second "appearance" does his first one even begin
to follow with any logic at all. Only if one can believe that the Congress has
the power to "form" new states does the prerogative of Texas become reduced to
that of "merely" its consent to the congressional decision--which would be equal
to any other pregnant mother state under similar erroneous circumstances.

Hold on, though! No American states are "formed" by the Congress, as if they
were mere counties being formed by some state legislature. On the contrary,
states are "formed" and invested with sovereignty by their people (the very
essence of republican government). It is only their admission to the Union that
comes by congressional consent.

If you will reread Milton Brown's curious and awkwardly worded amendment with
this proper sense for the "forming" of states firmly in mind, I think that you
will begin to understand my problems with Van Zandt's two appearances (though
you still might not agree).

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA