Subject: Re: 1-10 Detroit News border story
Date: Jan 15, 2004 @ 00:35
Author: Michael Kaufman ("Michael Kaufman" <mikekaufman79@...>)

Forgetting about Algerian terrorist Ahmed Ressam who did come to the
U.S. via Canada for his plotted "Millenium Attack?" A Pre-9/11 plot
at that. While the 9/11 attackers did not come from Canada, this
example demonstrates that others can and have. Increased border
security, and the large amount of media attention given to it, also
acts as a deterrant.
Remember there are jerks at borders all over, we've all had the
experiences. I've always maintained there's a disproportionately
large amount of assholes at U.S. border stations. I've had U.S.
guards shine flashlights in my face, ask what hospital I was born at,
what I do for work and where and why, etc. But just because there
are rude folks working on the U.S. side, it doesn't necessarily mean
the underlying policy is "evil" (nor does it mean Americans are all
uninformed). The Ressam case demonstrated how the border could be
used in such a plot and 9/11 demonstrated how bad the results could
be.
There is an obvious need for training border guards to successfully
do their jobs in a more courteous and respectful manner. But it
seems a stretch to use this to advocate one's political opinion.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray <doug@d...> wrote:

> It's an interesting political comparison: walls falling in Europe,
> walls going up in North America.
> And, sadly, the story that some of the 9-11 hijackers came via
Canada