Subject: Re: whats wrong with this picture
Date: Jan 14, 2004 @ 22:04
Author: m06079 ("m06079" <barbaria_longa@...>)

perhaps you missed something during my peregrinations too lowell

& i agree you are looking blue in the face

but you still havent said whats wrong

you only say it is wrong
repeatedly

but i ask again
what
is wrong
with this picture

& he is not hedging a bit
but is giving his complete reasoning

please follow the reasoning one more time

moreover
it is not just van zandt talking to us here
but it is the department of the interior & the united states
government at large opining about what they perceive to be prima
facie reality

i think what the government is resting on here is the fact that
congress couldnt abdicate to texas its responsibility for admitting
new states to the union
even if it wanted to & even if it said it did

congress is sworn to uphold the constitution

constitutionally the responsibility still rests with congress

& of course someone would have an uphill climb & run out of breath
trying to contradict that appearance

so now at last i am ready to conclude something
if thats truly your last word

& my conclusion is
it is not van zandt who is in denial & who is in error

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I've explained this until I'm blue in the face, and I'm not the
only one! Perhaps you missed something during your peregrinations.

> The prevailing Texas view (to which I subscribe) of one of
the "guarantees" given to Texas by the Congress on March 1, 1845, is
that up to four additional states may, by the consent of Texas, be
formed out of Texas, each of which would be "entitled" to admission.

> No other state has ever been given such congressional carte blanche
to subdivide. It would take congressional action to authorize any
other state to do this, but Texas already has such authorization in
hand.

> Van Zandt gives us a doubly-hedged denial that Texas acquired any
advantage over other states by this proviso. The first time I read
that sentence 27 years ago, I said to myself, "That's not right. The
author has stepped in it there!" My opinion has not changed.

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

since the discussion about the unilateral multiplication of texas
began
> in case anybody has been wondering what it is really about
> is the actual text from bus&ss aka van zandt
> which has been alleged to be erroneous
>

> open quote
> in a joint resolution approved 1 march 1845
> congress gave its consent for the erection of texas into a state
> provided certain conditions & guarantees were accepted
> one of which was as follows
>
> open internal quote
> new states of convenient size
> not exceeding 4 in number
> in addition to said state of texas
> & having sufficient population
> may hereafter
> by the consent of said state
> be formed out of the territory thereof
> which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the
federal constitution
> close internal quote
>
> source 5 statutes at large 797
>
> resume primary quote
> texas does not appear however to have acquired by this proviso
any advantages over other states
> as it merely can give its consent to a division of its area
> the right to make the recommendation or request for the division
apparently resting with congress